Duck diving is important to be practiced to be a surfer. This is the perfect style of diving for a surfer into a wave. Here, the person is required to paddle out to the level. This style of diving under the waves assures that you have successfully paddled out without getting dragged back by the waves. Duck diving is essential when the waves are bigger or frequent.
To get perfect at this style of diving, it is important to practice a lot. To get this lesson, it is best to practice with the small waves and go for the larger waves after you get confident about your diving skills.
The best fact about duck diving practice is that you can perform this even if the water is completely flat. The major objective of this diving technique is to let you move under the oncoming waves together with your surfboard. By this you can quickly recover after passing under a wave, and then get back paddling out. The foremost thing that you are required to do for performing this kind of diving is to assure that you are paddling correctly into the wave. Keep in mind that you will be able to do it better with the forward momentum.
The Duck Diving Technique
- Keep your hands on rails in front and after that try to push downward inside the water. This can be done easily by dipping the tip of the surfboard under water.
- Lean forward with your arms in a properly straight posture. This will help you move under water with your board.
- Always bear in mind that it is important to take a deep breath before getting dipped into the water.
- Get down flat on the surfboard when you get covered by the waves. Try to create resistance by putting pressure on the back side of board with your back foot or knee. (To understand the technique in a better way, you can have a quick look at the image given below.)
- Position the surfboard back on the surface as a wave passes over your head. If your duck dive is technically correct then immediately after this you will come in a posture where you get back to paddling. Well, if you want to get back to the lineup quickly and that too without losing much energy then it is good to paddle out faster.